Limitation: This FAQ applies to Endless users with version 2.x only.
Why can't I update automatically from Endless OS 2.x to Endless OS 3?
While every major release brings significant improvements and new features to Endless OS, version 3.0 was an especially big release because we added a lot of changes that affected the entire system. This includes low-level things like adding Flatpak compatibility, which will help users gain access to many more new apps in the future. The update was so big that we are calling the new version "Endless OS 3".
Due to the enormity of the changes throughout the system, and the fact that the old applications format used in 2.X will no longer be supported, previous Endless OS users who want to use Endless OS 3 will need to upgrade their systems semi-manually. Please note that this upgrade may not be the best option for all users, so read the benefits and limitations below carefully before deciding whether or not upgrade to Endless OS 3.
Can I just download and install Endless OS 3 from your website?
While downloading and installing Endless OS 3 is an option for users who originally downloaded the OS from our website, most users who purchased a machine with Endless OS will be unable to do a fresh installation because the download is unsupported. The good news is that with the semi-manual upgrade, all of your personal files will remain, though you should still back them up just in case.
Here are some things to consider as you decide whether or not to upgrade to Endless OS 3:
Benefits of Endless OS 3:
- Support for Flatpak applications (http://flatpak.org/)
- New app center
- More modern desktop icon theme
- Support for newer hardware
- Newer version of Chromium browser
- Support for Google Chrome (except on Endless Mini hardware)
- Continue to get all the latest OS and application updates and fixes
Limitations of Endless OS 3:
- Launching some applications is currently slower than on eos2
IMPORTANT: If you do not upgrade to Endless OS 3, your experience will remain as it is and will soon become unsupported. This means you will not receive new apps or updates. We highly encourage users to upgrade.
When you are ready to upgrade to Endless OS 3, follow these steps:
1) Update to the latest 2.x version. You can do this by going to Settings > Details > Check for updates now.
2) Back up all of your files, just in case.
3) Go to Terminal and enter the commands as below:
4) Enter your user password when asked, read the warning message displayed, and type "y" followed by the Enter key whenever you are prompted to proceed.
After this update, you will reach only 3.3.16 or sometimes 3.3.19, which is not the latest version.
To update the system again (above 3.4.x), go to Settings→Details→Version→Search for updates, this process will take a while depending on your internet connection, but once finished you will have new features.
Fill out our form giving us more information